dedicated to my girls, my angel kitties: Wheezie and Lexi
Thursday, May 29, 2008
my weekend project...
This weekend, I took on the project of re-upholstering the chair that I got from my great-uncle, Clifford. The chair was super comfy...but not so pretty. the fabric was kinda scratchy and almost to the point of being dry-rotted. I was going to try and take it somewhere to have it done, but I heard about how expensive it was and really didn't want to fork over $400 - $500 for a chair! I had previously bought some fabric for the chair, so I decided to give it a try. I shampooed the chair, thinking I would just put new fabric over the old stuff. But, with closer examination, I decided that all of the old fabric needed to come off. I ended up going all the way down to the frame. The potato sack-like mesh that was over the springs would start to crumble when I touched it...so off it came. I replaced it with a heavy fabric that I was lucky to find in the dollar section of my walmart's fabric department. Oh yeah... I now have a HUGE appreciation for people that do this for a living and completely understand why it is so expensive. It took me over a day just to get all the old fabric off. there were so many stinking staples and fabric nails in that thing... Anyway... I added some additional batting to the chair for a little extra comfort and I used the $1/yard fabric to hold the batting in place and as a trial for what I was going to have to do with the real fabric. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have chosen a striped pattern as my first re-upholstery project... but all in all, I am pretty darn impressed with how it turned out. I was able to strip most of the stain and poly off of the wood...but left a little on to give it that rustic type feel that Mike and I like. Mom is excited... b/c her chair is next and I was able to work out all the kinks with my own chair!
3 comments:
That looks so very good! Wow!
Shannon,
Chair looks great. Fabric looks familiar!!!!!
Talked to your mom this evening and can't wait until tomorrow morning.
Take care. Hi, Mike!!!
Love,
Aunt Pat & Uncle Ken
Shannon, You did a great job on your first chair. It really looks nice. Love Mom
Post a Comment